The Town of Thurston is located in the center of Steuben County and was formed on February 28, 1844. Thurston was named for William Thurston, a principal landowner in the area. Luke Bonny and William Smith established the first settlement on Bonny Hill. Edwin Merchant purchased land, which became known as Merchantville. In the late 1800's the name Merchantville was changed to Thurston, creating the small Village ofThurston within the township of Thurston. About 3 miles from the Village of Thurston is the other major hamlet, Risingville named after Nobel Rising an early settler and first postmaster.



back buttonforward button



[Steuben County page][WestNY.com][WestNY Internet Mall][Spun by Gary the SPIDER]


Addison [ Almond [ Arkport [ Atlanta [ Avoca [ Bath [ Bradford [ Cameron [ Cameron Mills [ Campbell [ Canisteo [ Caton [ Cohocton [ Coopers Plaines [ Corning [ Dansville [ Erwin [ Freeman [ Fremont [ Gang Mills [ Greenwood [ Hammondsport [ Hartsville [ Haskinville [ Hornby [ Hornell [ Howard [ Ingleside [ Jasper [ Kanona [ Lindley [ Mitchellsville [ North Cohocton [ Painted Post [ Prattsburgh [ Pulteney [ Rathbone [ Rexville [ Savona [ South Dansville [ Thurston [ Troupsburg [ Tuscarora [ Urbana [ Wallace [ Wayland [ Wayne [ West Cameron [ West Union [ Wheeler [ Woodhull

Copyright 1996 [GLSaltsman Enterprise ]. All rights reserved.
Revised: July 06, 2003.